9/18/12

No Expectations. An Introduction.

Are you ready for something new? Super Friend Rachael and I are going to do collaborative thought sharing on our blogs. Each week (or every other week, we're still figuring this out) we are going to pick a podcast of the week or POTW and then later in the week we are going to post our response, feelings, thoughts on what we listened to. Like a book club for our ears, and online, and for anyone who wants to be a part of it. So, here is the first installment of our Pod Club:


Please listen with us and then play along if you'd like. I'd love to hear your thoughts afterwards either in my comments or on your own blogs.



Now for some regular things from me. Last week I decided to tackle a new dance trick, one that many of my classes had voiced interest in learning but that I wasn't quite sure I knew how to do myself. They called it the "jump/fall thing from Dance Moms" but I'd seen it on So You Think You Can Dance so I knew what they were talking about. It's where the dancer does a little jump/leap facing the front, lands/drops over one knee and rolls to the floor. If you have no idea what I'm talking about here's a little tutorial I found on Youtube: Knee Drop Jump. Anyhow, I figured it out, easy peasy, and put in my dance for Adult Contemporary last week. It wasn't bad and barely even hurt but I ended up with a scab on my knee from where my leggings kept rubbing against the skin. On Sunday night while watching TV I busied myself with picking off the scab. I do not know how to leave things alone. Then, in class last night after doing that move again a few times I realized my knee was getting dangerously close to bleeding so I excused myself and went and found the biggest band-aid I could find out of the supply closet. A little while later one of my students said in the the sweetest voice I've ever heard "are you bleeding through your pants?" And you know what? I was. I had bled right through that band-aid and then kept right on going through my pants. One of my other students (who is also a teacher) ran off down the hall to get me better supplies. She came back with gauze and two more big band-aids. I patched myself up and kept going. Those supplies made it all the way through class but I realized when I assessed the situation at home later that I had indeed bled through all that business as well. I do not know how to take it easy apparently. And, as pointed out by aforementioned BFF, that includes most everything I do in life. I throw myself full force into things be it love, friendship, or dance I have a difficult time going at half-speed even if it means getting hurt sometimes. I think that's okay, as long as I keep getting back up and have people who can help me find band-aids big enough to stop the bleeding.

No comments: