12/5/12

Wholeheartedly vulnerable

This afternoon I got an email from Rachael (Just Me Actually - if you haven't read her blog go do it now) saying that she and husband were going to listen to a podcast on vulnerability and if I wanted to listen it could be like a pod club extra credit. So I did, because I love extra credit. I am currently listening to it for a third time. I don't know how to recommend this podcast highly enough - so I'll just say this:

Listen to it. Listen to it now, or die.


I mean, I know we're all going to die at some point but you should not do it without having listened to this first. Each time I listen to it I feel like I pull something new from it but there is one line that is standing out to me today, and maybe when I listen on a different day I'll not find it quite as powerful, maybe I'll find something else that will shake me. Today it is this:

Does this mean that our capacity for wholeheartedness can never be greater than our willingness to be brokenhearted? ~Brene Brown

I have so many feelings about living a wholehearted life, a life where everything you do is done with everything you have even if that means it leaves you broken at the end. Broken is better than never trying right? I needed this reassurance today, this reminder, the knowledge that all courage begins from a place of vulnerability. Being vulnerable isn't a flaw, something to be fixed, it's something to encourage, nurture and celebrate. I need to get reacquainted with that side of myself, I used to be so good at it but I haven't nurtured my vulnerability lately and my willingness to be brokenhearted has diminished. I know I can do it, and so can you.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

YES YES YES! and also YES!! i was mentally highlighting every sentence to remember later and realized i'd have to commit the whole thing to memory. this wasn't just pod club extra credit, it was Life extra credit!